Deciding on a weight loss camp may be a difficult task. You may not know what to look for in weight loss camps or what questions to ask. This fact sheet can help you make an informed decision.
A Responsible, Safe and Fun Weight Loss Camp Experience
Experts agree that the best way to reach a healthy weight is to follow a sensible eating plan and engage in regular physical activity. Weight loss camps, also referred to as Fat Camps should encourage healthy behaviors that help you lose weight and that you can maintain over time. Safe and effective weight loss camps should include:
- Healthy eating plans that reduce calories but do not rule out specific foods or food groups
- Structured physical activity
- Sports and exercise instruction
- Help with learning healthy behavior changes
- A program to build the confidence you need for success
- A plan to keep the weight off after you have lost it
Providers of summer weight loss camps should be able to answer these questions:
What does the weight loss camp consist of?
- Does the camp offer nutrition and cooking classes?
- Do you follow a specific meal plan?
- Does the camp provide information on how to make positive and healthy behavior changes for the long term?
- Is the weight loss camp sensitive to cultural diversity?
What results can I expect?
- How much weight does an average participant lose?
- How long have they kept off all or part of their weight?
What are the staff qualifications?
- Who supervises the camp?
- Is the Director certified by the American Camping Association?
- What type of training, experience, education and certifications does the staff have?
How much does the camp cost?
- What is the total cost of the camp?
- Are there any extra fees for optional activities or transportation?
- Are there hidden fees, such as laundry service?
Other weight loss camp questions:
- Will the camp work with your health care provider if you have a medical condition or are taking prescribed medications?
- Is the camp on rented property or do they own their own property?
- Is the camp accredited by the American Camping Association?
- How many years has the camp been in operation?
- Is the camp corporate or privately owned?
- Can the weight loss camps provide references?